Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Postcard text

I'm working on the text that I'll include on the address side of each piece of mail art. Here's a bit of the first draft:

Congratulations! You now own a piece of It's Just a Book, an interactive art/writing project. I'm turning remaindered copies of my 2003 book, Grace: A Memoir, into art and flinging them out into the universe. You're welcome to respond by
1. sending me mail art in return;
2. writing me a postcard; or
3. posting a comment on my blog.
Mail art developed out of the belief that the distribution of art should not be controlled by galleries. Blogs developed out of the belief that the distribution of writing should not be controlled by publishers. Freedom developed out of the belief that ideas should not be controlled by any single political, religious, media, or business source. Take freedom into your own hands. Make art. Make blogs. Make books. Make freedom.

No comments: