Saturday, August 16, 2008

My Book Arts Project

I'm ready to begin a project I've been mulling over for quite some time. I wrote a lovely book a few years back, and in short order it sold. Publication, however, was postponed for two years because of events outside of anybody's control. By the time the book was finally released in 2003, the editor, the original publicist, and every other person closely connected to the book had either been downsized out the door or walked out on the way to greener pastures. As if that weren't bad enough, the release of the book coincided with the beginning of the war in Iraq.

You won't be surprised when I tell you that in spite of my tracking down, digging up, and taking part in every reading, signing, speaking engagement, and other event I could find (really fun, which was good, because I'm still paying off the charges on my Visa card), the book went out of print in short order. These things happen.

This month (August 2008) is the tenth anniversary of the first public look at the first draft of the first essay that later expanded into the book. I have 1700 or so copies stored in the second bedroom, and I'm now going to deconstruct* one copy of the book in service of an art other than writing.

If you'd like to take part in this art project, send me an e-mail (mary@marycartledgehayes.com) with your name and address. More details will emerge at the speed of life.

And, no, there will be no spam involved in this project.

No comments: