Tuesday, September 16, 2008

We interrupt this broadcast...

The Nesting Hen. 4 x 6 fabric postcard. Fabric, paper, embroidery thread, lace with beads. Hand stitched.

I've just finished making this postcard to send to Susan Lenz for the CyberFyber exchange. All of the postcards she receives are going to be exhibited at Gallery 80808, Vista Studios, 808 Lady Street, Columbia, SC. Dates of the exhibit are January 8 - 20, 2009.

It's not too late for you to be part of the project. At the Cyber Fyber blog, you can see what postcards are still available, read the rules, and sign up to participate. If your art tends to ATCs (artist trading cards) rather than fiber postcards, you're in luck. Cyber Fyber also includes an ATC trade.

I've just read through the online exhibit journal the artist is keeping and found, in the very first post, that Lenz wanted to present "an exhibit to show people how access to the Internet changed my art; created my supportive, global community; and how FUN it all is!" Shortly after, Cyber Fyber was born. I didn't feel precisely that way when I began this project, but similarities exist, especially in the awareness of changes brought about by the internet. Changes in art, yes, but also changes in connections, minds, attitudes, and possibilities.

33 in the It's Only a Book project in which I'm deconstructing my 2003 book, Grace: A Memoir, and turning it into art.

We now return to our regularly scheduled broadcast.

No comments: